View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #57
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In that case they should make future e-readers taller which would mimic perfectly paperbacks. But in the meantime they are shorter so the space that could be empty up and down for title and page numbers in paperbacks when used in e-readers actually takes up space which in paperbacks would be used for text. The only way to compensate is to keep all the top (and bottom) space for text too in e-readers. And what was half lost with the forced page number at the bottom is now FULLY lost with the forced title at the top.
In the end we should have the choice of what to do with that space and now Kobo is DOWNGRADING this by removing any choice concerning top and bottom altogether. What's next, forced margins to lose space left and right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is one of those changes that please some and annoy others I guess. Cheap paperbacks use a small font to save paper, hence money. But even the cheapest paperbacks have plenty of whitespace top and bottom, even though they could save even more money if they got rid of it. This is because it is more important for most people to have that whitespace there than to cram as much text as possible on to the page, it is not wasted space but an important part of the book's layout.

I agree there should be an option so everyone can have it the way they want, but for me this is an improvement not a backward step.

Last edited by Quexos; 05-10-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote