View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you not "solve" the problem by using KindleGen instead of Mobi Creator?
Harry:

Both CJ and I are, in our respective ways, teaching people who use WORD to go directly to MBPC. I do it as an interim step--I let them make some practice books (PD stuff) in-house, so that they can see what the entire process "looks" like, from the crapola that is output by Word, then in the html editor that they can use inside MBPC; to the GUIDE items, which MBPC "guides" them through, no pun intended, really. After that, we move them over to NoteTabPro, Sigil and then KG/Previewer; but as a teaching tool, it's valuable for those who think that they know html, or some html, but have never made an eBook. As 99% of what we make ends up in both deilverables--ePUB & MOBI, we like them to get a feel for the limitations of mobi before they start reinventing the wheel (inevitably unsuccessfully), with the ubiquitous margin-right: yadda or dropcaps or whatever. I mean, sure--they work up to that for K8; but the hardest thing to teach, IME, has been living within the K7 limitations, for new bookmakers, adn seeing what html created by Word can be used with minor mods, and what has to be thrown out with the bathwater.

CJ spends a lot of time both on the KDP and her website teaching DIY'ers to convert from Word--so, no, her problem would not be solved by using KG, at all.

@cjallan: No, it doesn't solve the problem as I see it; creating a TOC by "hand" using Word, to me, is extra work, when one can simply use html heading styles and auto-create one (not only in MBPC but Sigil, as well). From our standpoint--at Booknook--we use various clips/programs to then convert the ncx into an html toc, which we "plunk" into the ePUB just prior to conversion via Previewer/KG, which is our weapon of choice. Again--strictly from our workflow--creating TOC's by hand, particularly for plain fiction is just a lot of "makework," when we can easily regex the chapter headers and do it "auto-magically," but for those working in Word, yes, I can see how it might solve your problem for your noobs.

I still, however, being pig-headed, stand by my statement that MBPC isn't "fixed" with that workaround. Good to see ya, by the way, away from the rabble!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote