View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkid View Post
Thanks for reply Harry

what i meant about buying books for a kindle,is that have read the download of a book only last for eight years. I have various chess book,that i have been looking at 30+ years
If i bought a Sony e-reader,i actually own the download and can put on other device that can read the format.That whats important to me.
From what,i have read,i didnt know you can back up your books on a kindle,can you.
I have an i-phone and have bought software that backs up my i-tunes,so i can put them on other devices,like my nokia 5800 or Archos player.
You can backup your Kindle book purchases to your PC.

As far as longevity-its always a question with DRM'ed content-and the fear of getting cut off/orphaned when a company goes out of business or just cuts and runs.

To me, it is partly a matter of critical mass-Yahoo could cancel their DRM music system, and it didn't really affect that many people (although there was an outcry/backtracking).

I think Amazon is rapidly approaching the point of no return in terms of long term support for their DRM...they've just moved too many books to be able to just let the DRM servers die without having a contingency plan of some sort...well, at least I hope they have several contingency plans.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote