View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
mknopp
mknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Not that I am too much on defending Apple and their lack of support for the ePub format that they claim to support. It has been atrocious.

But in this case, I am not sure that I agree with your complaint. From the sounds of it you read in some news article a prediction that some reporter made with no verification from Apple about what a product that hadn't been released yet was going to be. Then when Apple failed to live up to some journalist hype you blame Apple?

In this instance, I have to agree with fjtorres. Apple is being very much up front about exactly what this program is outputting and where it is usable. They never claimed that this was anything other than an editor to produce their proprietary format for textbooks to be read in iBooks only. They never claimed that this was any sort of ePub creator or editor.

Honestly, given what I have read about ePub3 and seeing what Apple is doing with their iBooks format, I am glad that they didn't attempt to make them ePub3 format. Because, I am pretty sure that they would have failed to make them compliant. Heck, given the article by Strahinja Marković about the epub3 format and the specific points concerning javascript, I am not sure that there really will be anything resembling a "standard" epub 3 document that will work everywhere. At least Apple is honest enough to let the user know that they aren't going to attempt it.
mknopp is offline   Reply With Quote