View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 03:43 AM   #37134
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It's been a really hellish week. I think I've slept about 2-3 hours a day in the past 10 days.

My oldest kitty Muhv is over the rainbow now. She had acute pancreatitis and didn't get any better after 5 days of medications and fluid therapy. As she was very ill and clearly suffering, we sent her on her final journey on Saturday last week. I miss you, Muhvi.

My other elderly lady Helle is also at death's door, basically. Her tumor hasn't gotten worse, but she is in the final stage of renal failure. Her kidneys were still ok half a year ago. The hormone therapy she had for her tumor probably damaged them, but if not for that, she'd have succumbed to the tumor, so there wasn't much choice. Cancer surgery is rarely successful in older cats (almost never if the tumor is in the intestinal tract) and often seriously reduces the quality of their remaining lifespan. Cats aren't as robust and resilient as humans, they're much more fragile.

As if all that was not enough, my youngest kitty Vallu also fell ill on last Sunday. He refused to eat, vomited and was apathetic, so it was to the clinic with him too. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong with him; he's got some blockage in his stomach, presumably hairballs. This can actually be pretty life-threatening for cats, so it's not something to be taken lightly. Anyway, after several days of various meds, hand-feeding and fluid therapy, Vallu is finally feeling better. He has started to eat and pooped for the first time since last week. I'll have to give him a ton of meds/hairball paste/vaseline oil over the next two days. I really, really hope he'll get well.

All this has cost so much money that I'm pretty broke now and had to borrow from a friend to cover the vet expenses. The clinic generously allowed me to pay a part of the bills next month, so I guess it could be worse. I've had multiple pets for many years, but this is the first time all three of them fell ill at the same time. What a piece of bad luck.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote