View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #35
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
On the other hand, though, for the various Shakespeare poems (as well as the two works by other authors), there were all newly-transcribed by myself from original sources, with various corrections made along the way (which other transcribers have not done, from what I've seen), and thus these changes are "new," "original" and "significant," and thus merit my own copyright. Wouldn't you think so?
My opinion (and therefore not a lawyer's): Are they still Shakespeare poems? Then they don't get a new copyright. Your changes may be significant, useful, appropriate, they may have a good deal of thought, imagination and research behind, but if you can still call them Shakespeare poems, they are Shakespeare's, not yours. If your changes are such that they have become your poems (based on, built on, or however you want to put it, Shakespeare's) then sure, they are subject to new copyright.

Maybe you can claim some kind of authorship or protection on the packaging (formatting, markup, etc.), but the text remains public domain, anyone is allowed to copy the text, with all your changes and corrections.

Quote:
Surely one can post copyrighted stuff, too, though -- i.e. if the person posting/sharing the work owns the copyright themselves?
Indeed, you can post whatever you have permission to post and we have permission to host: because it's public domain, or because the license allows it, or because you are the copyright holder or have the copyright holder's permission to do so.

Last edited by Jellby; 10-01-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote