View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #483
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
With that as a comparison, it explains why I don't have a problem with this, but you do.
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
But, as I said above, I think there is a problem for you. The most like explanation is that something is wrong with the database on your Touch.
If you'll recall, that was my original theory: that the firmware wasn't properly handling database changes for my usage pattern, which primarily consists of adding books directly to the card without involving the device's USB cable.

Quote:
The simplest fix is to log out of you Kobo account on the device and then log in again. This removes the old database and creates a new empty one. Then it will add the books back in. Unfortunately, you lose the reading status of all the books. So, take a copy of the database first and try this. If it doesn't help, you can put the backup back on.
I'm doing that now, after completely backing up both the card and the device. Hopefully it'll finish processing while I finish replying.

Quote:
Why are you powering off before removing/inserting the card? Do you power off when not reading and hence do this at that time? Or are you powering off to remove the card? It isn't needed. All the tests above are with a running device.
Because (a) sometimes my device doesn't recognize a card insertion while it's turned on, and (b) I turn my device off when I'm not reading anyway.

Quote:
On the "processing" screen, what happens with the percentage? Did it jump five or six times or something else?
It started around 44% and increased in increments of a few points - pretty much as I'd expect, except for the length of time involved.

Quote:
It isn't really a firmware request any more. Maybe a friendly mod can move these posts for us.
If the firmware isn't properly maintaining the database, I'd consider that a serious firmware bug that should be fixed. I don't use sync software, I don't manually tinker with the database, I just copy books onto the card...so if the database is getting corrupted, what's to blame besides the firmware? And if you have to destroy the database and start from scratch every so often to avoid this kind of slowdown, how is that not a bug that needs to be fixed?

The reader's back up now, and it did rescan the card much more quickly. I'm syncing over wifi now, and then I'll see if it remembers any shelving data. (You mentioned losing reading stats; you didn't mention shelves...which I put a lot more effort into. After all, I only read one book at a time, but I've gotta FIND the next one when I'm done!) Either way, my next step will be to reshelve the books (if necessary) and then compare the new database to the old one. Even a basic size comparison should tell me something; the old one is just over 11 megs. (And why do I have 600+ image sets in .kobo/images/ for books I've never even SEEN?)

It did recover my wishlist info this time, anyway. I'd lost that during the 2.4.0 update, and that list is gone, but the new list I'd started is still here.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote