View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #75
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Very helpful comments, thank you. Yes, the output mobi file from the plugin includes a file called kindlegensrc.zip, which I now understand is the "source". That is what I should be editing, not the files in the mobi8 folder. I've just looked at the template.css file in the source and it does have a couple of media queries in it. Can media queries also be in other non .css files?

So mobi-unpack is crucial, as it is the way I can get the "source" out of the generated mobi file.

My solution to the font size problem is working very well. I make the standard paragraph font in the document 10 point. Then I go through the generated css file searching for "pt" and each time I replace pt with em and divide the number before it by 10. So 30pt become 3.0em.

Now I shall tackle the missing start feature. The plugin doesn't support it at all, so I need to add it to the "source" before recompiling.

I recommend InDesign despite my problems. It would be perfectly possible to make a beautiful printed book with lots of typographical complexity and then make a well formatted Kindle edition quickly with no html or css knowledge at all. It handles fonts, including embedded fonts if wanted, (even if just used for bullets), TOC, NCX file automatically generated, and the cover. And it covers pretty much all the formatting that is possible with KF8.

Last edited by Tugger; 09-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote