View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #54
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Look, there are some who don't buy fashion or design magazines, don't shop at designer stores, don't eat at restaurants with fancy presentation, don't take a shower except on major holidays,
Sonist, you are welcome to disagree with me about the importance of design versus content in e-books. But to imply that I don't shower is, in my opinion, completely uncalled-for.

You can do better than this.

Quote:
But the fact is, if ereaders are to be successful, they have to be able to show pages which are designed, and meant to be viewed a certain way. (snip)
I have no problem with e-book readers *capable* of displaying pdf. Indeed, I believe I have expressed my excitement about the prospect on more than one occasion.

I simply don't believe that pdf should be the *only* format e-books come in, for reasons I have gone into before. If you don't care about adjusting font size, or line spacing or justification or whatever, I'm happy for you and your young, strong eyes. Try to imagine what it's like being a person who does care about such thing. In no small part because you may someday be such a person.

Quote:
PDF, with the new mobile SDK, provides the capability for reflowing simple text, thus addressing what seems to be the main concern for many here.
I am unfamiliar with the bleeding edge of pdf capability, but I stand ready to learn. Are you trying to tell me that it is possible to adjust font size and line spacing and margins in pdfs? That it is possible for the end-reader to specify the font s/he likes best? I would be very happy to hear that and would like to learn more about it--it would eliminate many of my objections to pdf as the default format for e-books.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote