Thread: Seriousness eBooks: a danger to posterity?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Months ago I've read The Stand, by Stephen King. And a thought occurred to me: what if ebooks will replace completely the pbooks? What if for some reason, in a post apocalyptic scenario, we can't produce electricity and recharge our computers and ereaders?

Do we loose all books? If an alien race visited our extinct world 2000 years from now... Won't they find any written material about us past a certain date? Will the year we enter in a full ebook format society be known as... The dark age? If I do a trip to a place without electricity, will that equate to no reading possibility?
Well, in "The Stand" they did get the electricity up and running again. I have a Solio solar charger which works with my Kindle, iPod Touch and cell phone, so I'm good.

Digital books are still tied to a physical object (computer, ebook reader, CDs, whatever else comes along), so I think there will still be an ability to access them.

Now, if we start "reading" books via direct to brain transfer, all bets are off.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote