View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #81
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've made my reading goal for 2012. It is basically to read 50 books, but I will be counting by page numbers instead of books read. I've averaged it out to 260 pages per book, which times 50 equal 13,000 pages as my goal for the year.

As far as a counter, I will still be counting by books to keep things simple as I'd rather count to 50 than to 13,000, though in a quirk I won't be counting actual specific books read but rather how many "260 pages" I've read. So if I read a 520 page book, by the time I get to page 260 I will have read one "book" and by the time I get to the end I will have read two "books".

Any extra pages left over I will add to the next book until I hit 260 again. And this way I can also count short stories easily and any pages I read of unfinished books.

I will not worry about any difference between types of pages. I will go by what the ebook or paper book tells me.

This year I'm also making a 2012 TBR list. First, on the list will be every selection from the general book club and the literary book club for 2012. This should make about 24 books. If a selection is made that I've already read, then I won't read it, but otherwise I plan to try to read every book selected for both of the clubs.

That leaves 26 more books. I will pick 13 now and leave 13 open to my whims during the year. Of the 13 I'm picking now, some are books I've started but not finished yet, some are books from my general TBR list, and some are part of my goal to read the complete works of Lewis Carroll.

So my 50 for 2012 are:
  • 23 to-be-determined book club books
  • Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse (January general book club pick already determined)
  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot (halfway through already)
  • A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (halfway through already)
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (halfway through already)
  • Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  • A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
  • The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
  • The Annotated Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll, Martin Gardner
  • Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded by Lewis Carroll
  • Phantasmagoria and Other Poems by Lewis Carroll
  • A Tangled Tale by Lewis Carroll
  • The Game of Logic by Lewis Carroll
  • Iliad by Homer (first whim and sooner than expected/reading group project; see a few posts down)
  • 12 more to-be-determined books open to my whims

For me, this will be a challenging list to complete and I look forward to, well, the challenge!

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-29-2011 at 01:49 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote