View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
nhmuse
nhmuse began at the beginning.

Device: ADE, Kindle, ipod
InDesign CS5 to epub and mobi Workflow

Hello -- I'd like to put a wish list out there for a forum for InDesign users exporting to epub, and also using the Amazon Kindle's plug-in to export to .mobi

Mac User - OSX 10.6.8 at the moment. InDesign CS5.

I have an archive of about 200 books created for print in InDesign, and I'm just now beginning to create epub and mobi versions of them.

I am developing a workflow using the guidelines in Liz Castro's book on Epubs, and Anne-Marie Concepcion's video tutorials on Lynda.com.

I massage the InDesign print documents to suit epub requirements, then export to epub from InDesign, then use Sigil to tweak. This is working fairly well.

I massage the InDesign file again, to get it ready to export properly using the Kindle plug-in for mobi. I use a program called Springy to view the contents of the mobi , and right-click on a file to edit it with a text editor (in this case, BBEdit, but you can also use any text editor that doesn't mess with the html -- in other words -- NOT Word). You can also use Dreamweaver in code view or any good html editor.

For epub validation, I am using the online validator at http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/ and I've downloaded the recommended epubcheck but haven't used it yet.

For mobi validation, I am using Amazon Kindle Previewer.

Is anyone else out there using a similar workflow?

I am looking for other folks who might be using this workflow or something similar to it.

Do you think there's enough of us to have our own forum?
How do you create a forum?

thanks for reading.
nhmuse is offline   Reply With Quote