View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #2320
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaldo2000 View Post
There isn't a way of running the dictionary in the background I guess? The OS is probably not multitasking...

Do you have any idea about when/if the context sensitive dictionary will be finished? That would be a mind-numbingly brilliant addition.
Being a novice, I'm surprised I'm adding this, but my guess is that power savings on a dictionary are not about "application startup" instances being reduced but rather mostly about intelligent searching of a dictionary file by sectors (y'know, like not to scan each line of a file, but scan alphabetically and regional/randomly by letter, so "a-,b-,c-...o-,p-" then "pe" then "per" ...."perfect". not scanning and matching "a, aardvark, able, .....panda, patrol.....perfect").

A couple of questions:

1. Can anybody who has used the custom dictionaries, say if prs+'s adoption of dictiolauncher still requires the user to type in their word on a virtual keyboard for dictio lookup? Or can you select a word on screen and tell the dictionary to look that up, as you can on the original sony firmware?

A virtual keyboard would make it harder to look up non-latin character words like russian. And practically impossible (on this system, at least?) to look up ideo-/logo-grams like chinese characters.

2. Has anybody used the dictionary on the x50 models? The prs+ homepage chart says they aren't implemented yet. But that chart was updated months ago, I guess.

And I think the main developer, "kartu", is also trying to get some donation for a 650 purchase for development, so maybe it just hasn't been "officially" tested but already works?

Last edited by readingglasses; 07-23-2011 at 04:37 PM.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote