View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #12554
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently reading:

- A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (68%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (44%)

- Whitechapel: The Last Stand of Sherlock Holmes by Bernard J. Schaffer (30%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]

Whitechapel is pretty good, but it's way different from any Sherlock Holmes novel I've ever read before. The point-of-view switches between Watson, Jack the Ripper, Irene Adler, Lestrade, and other characters, and only Watson's chapters are in first person. There are some typos but that's understandable since this is a self-published book.

Also, it's not a mystery but more of a thriller. Nine chapters in so far and Sherlock has barely appeared, the book preferring to switch between modern day and flashback of Jack the Ripper's messed-up childhood.

The only thing I don't like is the abundance of profanity. Not that such a thing offends me, but it doesn't fit in the Victorian-era Holmes novels. I read "Angel of the Opera" recently, and when a character used profanity at one point, Holmes' cousin Dr. Henry Vernier exclaimed "watch your language!" Not so in this book:

Quote:
Inspector Gerard Lestrade spat on the ground and muttered, "This is bollocks. We are Scotland f****ing Yard."
If you're familiar with the Holmes canon, you probably cannot imagine Lestrade saying that. It's really out of character. But despite that, the novel is still really enjoyable and gripping.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote