View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

My interpretation is that "the majority" is a proportion modifier on "readers", leaving "readers" as the relevant noun for selecting the verb - hence I would go with "agree". I even managed to find a source that agrees with me

According to this source (see rule 9):
Yeah, this is my take; the 1 in 6 is a modifier, and "boys" is the noun. But I've read other opinions on this thread which I don't think are necessarily invalid. It's a sentence that could have been better written, to convey the actual intent. After all--the writer isn't speaking about ONE boy in Australia, is s/he? No, s/he's speaking about however many boys is the mathematical equivalent of "1/6th of all boys in AUS," essentially.

Just my $.02, and worth less than you paid for it. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote