View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow Copyright law is real confusing. But I think I'm understanding it so here is a spot check am I correct in my statement below.

How to Trade in Stocks by Jesse Livermore
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin LeFevre

It looks like both are still in copyright for the US but in Canada with the life +50 yrs both should be in PD. Does Canada have any special rules for international copyright?

Jesse Livermore died in 1940
Edwin LeFevre died in 1943

For the Livermore's book "How to Trade in Stocks" he published the book the same year he committed suicide in 1940. This book was renewed in 1968 so will be in US copyright until 2035.

For LeFevre' the book was published in 1923 and was renewed in 1950. That means the book is in Copyright until 2018

=X=

OF course, if an American posted it on a Canadian website, he would be legally liable for copyright infringement. If a Canadian did it, it would be perfectly legal. On the other hand, some US copyright holders have threatened lawsuits to Canadian server for hosting items in the public domain in Canada, but still under copyright in the US. A well known example of this is Gone With the Wind which is PD in Canada, but nobody will host it there because everybody who does gets threatened with an infringement suit, deliberately to have a chilling effect on host availability. (see extortion) It is available on PG Austrailia, apparently the assigns of GWTW got told to take a hike there...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote