View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #385
avaloncourt
Enthusiast
avaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Are you serious? $40 is nearly my entire non-AC season electricity bill for a month...

I would estimate more like $2-$3 a year.
That hit me the same way as well. The only way you're going to pay $40 in electricity costs to keep a Kindle charged is to have a generator attached to a treadmill and pay someone to run on it for you.

For some real world figures, the Kindle 1 adapter is rated at maximum 36 watts on the AC input which the Kindle would never actually require. I looked up a chart of electrical costs and the higher priced states are around 15 cents per kilowatt hour. Even if someone was charging their Kindle for eight hours a day every day (which is impossible) the annual cost would be $15.77. In real life use it would be more like $7 a year for the states with the highest electricity charges.

Last edited by avaloncourt; 04-25-2009 at 01:31 PM.