View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
I'm going to continue griping for a while. Hardware-wise, by the way, the Aura One looks great to me. No mistake about that.

Okay, so it looks like every book that I bougth via Kobo and that I don't sideload but download from the Kobo shop will have that bloody irritating formatting of having blank lines between every paragraph. I hate it, I really hate it. I want it to look like a regular book, with extra no spacing between between paragraphs but just indents to indicate paragraph starts.

Isn't there a setting anywhere to change this?

(It looks like books that I sideload look fine, but geeze... For some reason the sideloade duplicates of books bought via Kobo don't always seem to show up rightaway, &c. &c.)
Not much use to you but that spacing is set by the style elements created by the ebook publisher. If the book is not DRM protected, you can use Calibre to do a quick and dirty fixup or use Sigil or Calibre's builtin editor to do a better cleanup. Just takes some time to get used to either of them.

I have no desire to start another "religious" discussion over whether Kobo following the embedded style is a 'Good Thing" or a 'Bad Thing'. If the publisher does a good job or the publisher does a (fortunatelly less and less common) crap job of formatting the epub, your Kobo will show it.

Personally, I have a stylesheet that I use when driven to editing an epub with $%^&*( formatting. Using Sigil and it's regex, it takes about 20 minutes on the average to reduce the epub to my rather vanilla formatting. No more absolute fonts sizes, no more fixed image sizes, no more widows and orphans set to 5, etc.

This is for sideloaded epubs (or kepubs using Calibre and the appropriate plugin). Editing a Kobo kepub downloaded from their servers without turning it into just another sideloaded ebook is not for the faint of heart (i.e. anyone who does not think of a factory reset or signout to regenerate your database as fun for a Sunday afternoon).

Last edited by DNSB; 09-06-2016 at 09:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote