Thread: eBooks We Need
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
eBooks We Need

I started another thread in a different forum but have abandoned it because I decided it was too egocentric - all about what "I" wanted. So I am taking another approach and posting here.

I have recently been enamored of determining the mother of all lists of "classics" and putting them all in my Sony Reader. Loading the Harvard Classics was a great start. I have also combed through other well-regarded lists of "classics", "great books", "western canon", etc. I generated a merged list of all these things.

From that merged list, one can sift and sort in various ways.

Here is my first short list. This list is all the items from my huge list that are NOT available on MobileRead, yet ARE available from Project Gutenberg or other good sources.

These are not necessarily my favorites - simply things that should be here to round out what we can. For anybody looking for a book to try to create, this is a good place to start.

Aristophanes - Clouds
Bennett, Arnold - The Old Wives' Tale
Calderón de la Barca - Life Is a Dream
Chekhov, Anton - The Cherry Orchard (in Plays, Second Series)
Chekhov, Anton - The Seagull
Chekhov, Anton - The Three Sisters (in Plays, Second Series)
Erasmus, Desiderius - The Praise of Folly
Goldsmith, Oliver - The Vicar of Wakefield
Herodotus - Histories
Huygens - Treatise on Light
Irving, Washington - Rip Van Winkle (in The Sketch-Book of Geoffrey Crayon)
Johnson, Samuel - A Grammar of the English Tongue
Nash, Thomas - The Unfortunate Traveller
Pushkin, Alexander - Eugene Onegin
Sanger, Margaret - The Pivot of Civilization
Schopenhauer - Studies in Pessimism
Strindberg, August - Miss Julie (in Plays, Second Series)
Tacitus - Agricola
Thucydides - The History of the Peloponnesian War
Wollstonecraft, Mary - A Vindication of the Rights of Women
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote