View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here's a great freebie from Amzon:

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Go-Ver...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

No story over a 1,000 words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Don,
That freebie cost me a dollar. I remember when all those authors put it together. I beta-read many of the stories.
The dollar was because I bet a friend it would never get published.
It is free due to royalties.
So I can say there are some fabulous stories in that book.

Oh and if you guys need a beta-reader for your flash fiction just yell at me.
Yep, I got it, too.

I am, by nature, drawn to shorter stories. That gets additional reinforcement these days -- I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms (doctors offices with my elderly parents, repair shops with my elderly minivan, etc.).

Whether I'm writing Flash Fiction or reading it, I look for a short episode in someone's -- or something's -- life. There is, of course, not enough room for complete character development, so something else has to be the draw.

A "Twilight Zone" twist at the end is a good way to take advantage of the nature of Flash Fiction. You have to make a superficial sketch of a person and/or an event, the reader has to fill in the details, and if you've lead (or mislead) the reader properly, you can sneak in something unexpected, but within the context of the story.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote