View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #26
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
Smallcaps are the same height as the x-height. The x-height is the height of a lower case "x"....

X-height is a font metric, one of many, that is inside every opentype font file.

It can't be a % of cap height since the ratio x-height/cap-height varies....

Cap height is not necessarily the same as the value for 1em, either.

"Em" used to be a horizontal measurement - the width of a capital M.
@derangedhermit

Thanks a lot for stressing clearly these main points and commenting them. So, as far as height is concerned, we have better check visually after every font change.

It seems that, finally, after losing some time on it, I got some acceptable results for fake and true smallcaps.

To put them on equal footing, I choose a 92% font-size for the paragraph and then
- uppercase with 0.75em for the fake ('Serif' font)
- lowercase for the true ('Linux Libertine')

These values above could be further tweaked but I dare not.

From left to right: fake, true, printed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fake.png
Views:	188
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	94119   Click image for larger version

Name:	true.png
Views:	198
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	94120   Click image for larger version

Name:	smallcap.png
Views:	174
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	94121  

Last edited by roger64; 10-15-2012 at 01:48 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote