View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #11
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I think a hanging indent is best handled by using a negative text-indent value on the containing block.
Doesn't work, I tried it.
  1. text-indent is defined in terms of :first-line.
  2. :first-line means the first line of a block box.
= to get text-indent to work, you need one block box per line

=> once you've got block boxes, <br> at the end is going to leave blank lines, which you need to nullify somehow.

- you either have to rely on this undefined "a single <br> at the end of a block box has no effect on layout, unless the block box is a P element"

- or you have to do something even crazier like fixing the line-height and then setting a negative margin-top on br+span.

- which is why I think I prefer using inline boxes with negative margins.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote