View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Semantic formating for simple poetry: any comments on my code?

Code:
<p>1<br/>
2<br/>
3</p>

<p>a<br/>
b<br/>
</p>
- P for stanzas and BR for line breaks, is what the HTML specs would like you to do. But it doesn't work well when long lines of poetry are wrapped; there's no distinction between the "real" line breaks and the line-wrapping. The solution in HTML+CSS is to use a hanging indent -

Code:
p { text-indent: 0.5in; margin-left: 0.5in }

<p>1</p>
<p>2</p>
<p>3</p>

<p><br /></p><!-- blank line -->
<p>second stanza...
- but oh! is that markup an abuse of HTML semantics. So I discovered a hybrid that seems to work in browsers (and WebKit, hence presumably iOS):

Code:
p .line { display:block }

<p>
<span class="line">1<br/></span>
<span class="line">2<br/></span>
<span class="line">3</span></p>

<p>
<span class="line">Second stanza...
- which seems nice, but is it a good idea? Any idea what ADE would do with it?

The BR's at the end of the 'display:block' SPANs are puzzling me. If I put a BR at the end of a P, I get an extra blank line -- but it doesn't seem to happen with the SPANs.

innerHTML says the BRs are still there -- so it's not a parsing quirk. And it shouldn't be a quirks mode quirk; I used a HTML5 doctype on my test page. Is this actually standardized anywhere?

CSS shows a "default" styling for BR using generated content, which in theory could be overridden in case future renderers adopt a more uniform treatment. (br:after, br:before {content:none}). But that doesn't work in current browsers, so there's no guarantee it would help. Which suggests that this hasn't been formalized in a standard.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote