View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are tweaks in the developer forum. I do not use any so will not give an opinion. Read the threads to see. And this is the best place I know of for hacking information.
I love the tweaks David is referring to, but be warned that they do not work with firmware 2.6.1, so if you want to try them on yo should stick to 2.5.2.

As a non techie end user, here is what I have:

1. Tweaks: this adds a menu on the home screen to access various functions, which you can customise as you like. Browser, sleep, power off and reboot are those I use more often. You can also use this to launch other hacks, like nightmode and launcher (see below);

2. launcher: another great hack. Beside a number of games (including a good Chess if you are interested) it includes a very useful text editor and a usbnet function (beyond me). the launcher works also with 2.6.1 firmware. It works as standalone, but you can also launch it from the Tweaks (though not with 2.6.1)

3. night mode: broken in 2.6.1, it will put the screen with white text on a black background. You can launch it from the tweaks.

4. light control: I am not sure if it works with the latest firmware as I do not use it (I have a Mini), but users seem enthusiastic;

5. google drive: allows you to sync your device with books on google drive. I don't use it as it does not work on my device, so I am not sure which firmware version you need for it

Other features to consider, which as far as I know are independent of firmware version, are:

- add/customise dictionaries;
- sticky on how to manage shelves with calibre

There are more techincal hacks, but they are all beyond me :-)

Welcome!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote