View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #108
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
I don't know many people who went out of their way to read One Hundred Years of Solitude as teenagers [...] I think I read an online translation of Luo Guanzhong's Romance of the Three Kingdoms. This was because I was playing a lot of Koei games at the time: Dynasty Warriors and the RTK turn-based games. Oh, those were the days ;D

I don't think liking One Hundred Years of Solitude has anything to do with maturity. Just read it if you're interested again.[...]
ohh what do you think about "Romance of 3 kingdoms"? I read it when I was 17, a translation also but I think Vietnamese resembles Chinese very much (the biggest difference is how they are written), and the translator did a terrific job so the poems and the rhythms were almost perfect. I always wondered how it would be, reading an English translation or any Western translation.

I think reading 100 years of solitude when I was still in teens didn't have anything to do with "cool" 'cause I actually didn't have any clear idea what Marquez was trying to imply in his novel Just a vague idea, yes, but I must admit that I didn't understand it thoroughly. Maybe the fact that I could put up with such a painful boring book* until the end is "cool"
(*: it is, in my humble opinion)

If I have the nerve, if I can bring myself to, if I finish many other good books out there, I will reread "100 years".
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote