View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
sbl
sbl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
I bought a DPT-S1 for around 90,000 yen = $900. I bought it for the purpose of reading pdfs and writing memos on presentation materials in meetings etc.

The device works as expected, and I use it mostly to read epaper editions of WSJ, company annual reports and calibre extracted pdfs. Zooming and switching to 4x4 or 16x16 is nice, but its speed is not anything close to an ipad and can be stressful especially when your pdf has a lot of pictures.

Writing feels much better than any pen/stylus I tried for thinkpad tablet 2, ipad using evernote's pen, or z ultra. It is not as good as the boogie board though, since DPT-s1 does still lag a bit and the pen does not have greyscale shades embedded. Your writing looks 'blocky' (2x2 pixel) and after a few seconds lag, it tries to smooth out your writing to put some anti-alias effect onto the writing. Touch of the penpoint is softer than that of a thinkpad stylus, and there is less sound of the tip touching the screen which sometimes bothers you when you write on a glass screen such as an ipad.

Apologies for the long reply. I am happy to answer any questions.
I have used dpt-s1 for a week and I love it. I use this device for reading professional pdf's (some are scanned pdf's) and it did the job well. I think there is no other device on the market has all the advantages dpt-s1 has:

1. no backlight
2. non-glossy screen
3. large display (especially suitable for a4 or letter size documents)
4. light weight
5. good reading interface

BTW, does anyone know how to make the pdf fit the width of the display of dpt-s1 rather than fit the height? Thanks.

@skipper113
Where did you buy your dpt-s1? It is much cheaper than mine which cost me $1300. It is interesting that you like the pen of dpt-s1 better then thinkpad tablet 2. I have tpt2 and wacom+onenote is still much better for me to take notes (although the pen of dpt-s1 is not bad).
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote