View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskillroy View Post
This will be my first ereader purchase. I read quite a bit and recently I find myself fighting with the weight of the books I read, especially if they are 700+ page hardbacks where holding it in one hand when in bed is just not comfy and starts straining my wrist. Or reading paperbacks where you can never quite hold them open properly.

I narrowed it down to the Kindle Oasis 3 and the Kobo Forma. I'm NOT too concerned about the storefronts and the library because they both seem to have all 50 of the books I have on my to read list. Also considering we are in lockdown (Sydney, Australia), I don't have the luxury of going to a store and trying these things out before I buy so I have to take people's opinion before I do so.

My main concerns are around:

Ergonomics: Considering the issues I have with physical books, I want something that is super easy to hold in one hand and change pages without having to use my second hand. I read a lot in bed or on a couch or at a park/beach and I want to have something that feels effortless. I understand the Oasis 3 and Forma are basically the same weight (10gm difference) but what I would like to hear is if the ergnomics are good; is the weight distributed well making it feel lighter and easy to hold.Also considering the Oasis is aluminium and the Forma is rubbery, does that help one way or the other for ease of holding?

Lighting: I do read in the dark quite a bit so whatever I get, I want to ensure that the backlighting is decent. Also I do want to reduce eye strain and hence dont want to use any of my tablets for reading (that and battery life). I understand that the Forma and the Oasis 3 both have warm backlighting with the Oasis having better backlighting because of more LED's.Are there any issues with the Forma lighting due to consistency and is it noticeable enough where it might annoy people reading it?

Size: The Forma is bigger. Does that feel like a good benefit to have while reading? When it comes to phones and tablets I generally always get the biggest size possible but want to make sure that the benefits of a bigger screen size dont get cancelled by the ergonomics.

So really it feels like Ergonomics, weight, ease of holding, size and lighting are what are my major points of consideration to choose between the two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There's also the Kobo Libra, which has the form factor of the Forma, but has a screen the same size as the Oasis 3. it also has a side benefit of being cheaper than the Forma or the Oasis.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote