View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10522 View Post
1. While I love the larger screen, I am finding the device TOO HEAVY. I keep shifting its position in my hands, propping it on my chest or armchair...all to no avail. Its just too heavy to be comfortable reading a book for over 5 minutes. I am using it without a cover. With a cover, the weight would be unbearably uncomfortable.
I always read my DX with it resting on a pillow. Most of the time, I read lying down, either on the couch or in bed, and I rest the DX on a pillow on my chest. I do this with pbooks and my K1 too, so it's not an adjustment. Most of the hardback books I read are heavier than the DX.

Quote:
2. Internet surfing is IMPOSSIBLY SLOW! We are talking five minutes for a webpage at times. More often than not the cursor becomes unresponsive and it freezes. I hoped this would be the perfect device to take on a roadtrip, connect to yelp or tripadvisor, and find a good restaurant/motel wherever I was. Now I know the Kindle DX is virtually useless for websurfing. The Kindle-2 was much better in this regard. It was slow but usable. As a browser the DX is junk.
Agreed, what's up with that? It's much slower than my K1 from the same location.

Quote:
5. The device crashes way too often. To restart, you must hold the power switch for 30 seconds and often fiddle with it...again and again. WTF?
Mine has never crashed, *except* when I'm browsing, where it happens quite often. It seems that whatever changed between the K1 and the DX (I don't have a K2) has made it slower and buggier.

Quote:
In another year or two, in comparison to other readers, the Kindle DX may seem like a VERY bad choice.
Very likely, but by then I'll be ready to buy something new anyway
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote