View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy View Post
But I really can't understand, why the developers aren't integrating any auto-update functionality. I'm macOS user and nearly every relevant app has it's updater. It saves a lot of time to keep up-2-date. No need for investing 3-5 extra minutes on waiting, overwriting, keeping the eyes on process bars and confirm every little step.
I'm guessing it comes down to how many hours there are in a day. To implement auto-update in Calibre, you would probably have to write code for one or two Mac versions, three or four Windows versions and a zillion Linux distributions (I exaggerate slightly). Personally I'm amazed at how often Calibre is updated, but I usually bypass about three or four of these before worrying about it. In Linux Mint it's just a matter of clicking on the Update link, cutting and pasting the commands into the terminal, running them and – voila', done – the whole process takes about three minutes. I like having control over it. I use the binary updates because Linux Mint (especially for the older version I use on my Desktop computer) is usually well behind the curve. If I was using the version in my Linux Mint 17.1 repository, I would be using 1.25 at this point, instead of 3.17.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-12-2018 at 03:23 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote