View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
In an effort to reduce the ultimate ebook filesize, I have pre-reduced the colours in the images used by the 2006 Wikipedia to only 8 colours/grayscale and uploaded those ebooks here.

I only did this with the ebook (NEW 2006 Wikipedia CD Selection_letter A_images150) with its images shrunk down to a max. 150x??? or ???x150, but saw a noticable 20% filesize reduction.

Since almost all of the current readers only display 4/8 grayscale (iRex offerings excepted), this may be quite tolerable.

Using just the 'Letter A' entries, I noted the following filesize increases, when including images of different # of max. colours:
- NEW 2006 Wikipedia CD Selection_letter A (original with max. 150x150 16 colour images)
- NEW 2006 Wikipedia CD Selection_letter A_images150-8colors (about 10% incr.)
- NEW 2006 Wikipedia CD Selection_letter A_images150 (about 40% increase)
- NEW 2006 Wikipedia CD Selection_letter A_images450 (about 85% increase)

On a related note, I also uploaded here, a TEST 45MB .epub that contains only 8 colour/grayscale images (whereas all the other ones there have 16 colours) and includes ALL Wikipedia ENTRIES even entries for 'Letter B' to 'Letter Z'. This ebook may not render properly as the .html source included there has not yet been "cleaned up" and may have "glitches" that will be fixed in any released/final ebook version!

It looks like, in the end, a .epub with almost original-sized images (450x???) will be about 2/3rds 5/6ths greater than this 45 MB test .epub, namely could be about 75 MB 83 MB.

Well, I'm off to create this test .epub (~83MB) with these larger sized images.... and then later upload to my Gargantuan ebook server.

EDIT: it actually is 83 MB in size

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-15-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: updated true size of text ebook with all entries and larger images. It's awesome!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote