View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Steve Rambam put the finger on Amazon, Google, Paypal, Ebay, Skype, Myspace, Facebook, Yahoo, Monster, etc. Nice to know they're reading all my posts and emails, or monitoring my location, whenever I'm online. Dear officer: I did not run a red light at 10 PM tonight, because mobileread detected I was reading a forum post. Can I get an alibi?

Good post, Xanthe. I hope you don't get accused of wearing a tin foil hat by Amazon worshipper. LOL.
Personally, I'm a big fan of Amazon; I'm one of their Vine Reviewers. I've also been putting reviews and lists up there for years. I've never bought any underwear from them so they don't know the color of that, but I imagine they know just about everything else.

They've taken a lot of my money over the years and will continue to do so in the future. I knew going in that my purchases would be in a database forever, and would probably be sold. I've reached an age where I refuse to be ashamed or embarassed by anything I do or have done; there are too many other things in life to angst over.

If I had a Kindle, I wouldn't worry about them knowing what non-Kindle files I had on it, as kindlekitten has pointed out, since their access is limited to the data purchased from them. Nor would I worry about them sucking back my purchases; what happened was an isolated incident affecting a very limited number of purchasers, and their payments were refunded. To me that is not a big deal. Besides, if I consider a book important enough, I'm going to buy the physical book, not an ebook.

Besides, if I was putting sensitive documents or work documents on a reader, I would make sure that they were encrypted first, and if the reader doesn't support encryption, I wouldn't use it for such a purpose - I'd use a netbook instead.

It just seems to me, from reading various posts on the forum - and not singling out any posters because I don't know any of you very well - that some people get caught up with the minutia of privacy issues, not realizing that the point is really moot.

For those interested, there is a part two of that video available on Google Videos.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote