Thread: Troubleshooting Kindle Paperwhite stuck on boot
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
radioactive76
radioactive76 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I probably spent a full 4 hours trying to fix this last night and today. What a complete bunch of clueless people Amazon has working for them. I used to have a high opinion of Amazon, but all this mess changed it.

During my useless conversation with Will yesterday I mentioned that I had a Mac, but used VMWare to mount the user partition to erase the files in Windows, since I read on the Amazon forums that perhaps OS X (eg, Spotlight) had dropped a file on the partition that the Kindle had problems indexing. Today's conversation with support had the agent read back the notes from yesterday, and informed me that since I had used VMWare to installed unauthorized software on the Kindle, I had voided the warranty. She explained that since I had rooted (not true) the device, they could only offer a discounted replacement, but not a warranty swap. The sad thing is, I didn't root the Kindle, I don't have any interest in tinkering, I just want an e-reader. Lesson learned, play stupid when talking to support.

In the end, I was able to fix it, but it took some timing. I noticed that when the USB cable was plugged into the computer, there was a 0.5 second period between the USB energizing the card before the Kindle was enumerated in the OS, however if I ejected the Kindle from the OS, the screen saver went into its deep, un-wakeable sleep. During this time, the display was responsive to touch, but only for 0.5 seconds. It took a few turns, but I was eventually able to navigate to Settings -> Reset Device and get it to the factory settings. After it booted, things seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately, the second CSR today deployed a log gathering package that kept gathering logs and rebooting the Kindle every time I put the device to sleep. I called customer service a third time, and the agent recommend I do a new "Device Reset" to clear it out, which did work.

I don't understand why Amazon doesn't have a DFU restore like the iPhone, specifically for cases where something went wrong and you'd like to zero it out to defaults without navigating menus.

Hope this helps someone else!
radioactive76 is offline   Reply With Quote