View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #67
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
So even though you've been working your tail off and haven't done anything unprofessional, you're fired, because just maybe your industry is different from related industies? Would you want to work for that kind of organization? Maybe you would. Maybe you already do. If so, you have my condolences.
Everyplace I've ever worked, simply working hard was not enough to keep a job . You also had to do a good job. Those who consistently under-performed, were fired. And, AFAIK, most jobs in America are like that. Not all. But most of them.

I don't know what profession you work in, but it sounds pretty cushy.

Quote:
Why would any first-rate experienced person want to work in a declining industry under those conditions?
The conditions I'm talking about are the norm in this country. We saw it with Apple. The guy heading the maps app did a poor job. He got fired. So as long as the pay is competitive, why wouldn't anyone not want to work for B&N? Declining industry or not, it's still a good company to work for, I would think.

Quote:
The eBook revolution is putting people out of work. In broad outline, it is the creative destruction of capitalism and can't be helped. But for an old-line company to have even a chance of being the exception, it will need risk-taking managers. And if firing is uppermost in their mind, they'll play it the company way. Yea, they'll stick lose their job when the firm goes bankrupt, but not as quickly.
I'm not sure why you seem so convinced the people currently in charge of setting the direction for various aspects of the Nook tablet are the right people for that job. The risk is betting that a tightly locked down tablet without a rich ecosystem can work. Maybe in this case they need someone to think more in line with where the current market is at. Someone to think more traditionally! Or at least more sensibly.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote