View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #945
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try this approach.. With the Kobo attached (and I think it makes no difference whether or not calibre or Kobo Desktop are up), go to Control Panel | Device Manager. Then expand the Disk Drive section and look for the entry Kobo eReader USB Device and select Properties.

Now select Details and in the Property box look for the entry Parent.

The value for my Parent is
Code:
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG3172104949A
Grr.. the Rev does not show there

But it DOES show in the Device Instance Path info
Code:
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3172104949A&0
Thanks, Peter. I woke up in the middle of the night with "Device Manager!!!" ringing around my head I have just run it, and on my WinXP machine, device manager only seems to give the revision number: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0110\N905B2 1300675&0. None of the other IDs on the dropdown menu have further information. It look as as if you are running a later version of Windows (Vista?), so certainly it is a much easier way to do it than the Calibre way for people on the same OS as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Interesting indeed. Wouldn't the serial number give enough information to figure out a relationship between batches and problems? Serial numbers would be a lot easier to get...
That's why the idea came up - in David's experience, the ID is for a different Kobo reader altogether Serial numbers therefore might not help, or at least they might, but only by being able to correlate the serial numbers to the IDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Converting them to hexadecimal ...
Well spotted! I wish I was clever like you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know why Kobo don't label them properly.
I think this is where the root of the problem lies. As the readers have developed, various things have crept in and out, and there are so many versions that it is difficult for the current developers to keep track. Thus we get blocks of people with certain problems (from reading at the time 2.0.0 came out, a lot of the problems were in Australia/NZ, and you are again experiencing problems with 2.1.1, in Australia). Of course, the question remains: what do we do with the information if/when we get it?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote