View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #243
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post

I do know my way around GNU/Linux, its file system structure and bash files, thank you for the suggestion though. What puzzled me was simply how I would acquire the 5.3.0 image and still flash it even after having possibly bricked the Kindle. But apparently the modern way to do that is with the USB Downloader mode if I am not mistaken.
In principle, yes. USB downloader mode will pretty much always work for the K4 and for the K5T.

For the Paperwhite, you're essentially right: as there is no known way of getting the device into USB downloader mode, the simple truth is: If the device is *really* bricked, it's bricked for good. If it's "semi-bricked", you may still be able to revive it by booting into diags mode, or by opening it and using the serial port to fiddle with u-boot.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote