View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Actually that's the Goodreads list for Popular Modern Fiction. What I was thinking of in nominating this is once more something sun surfer said when this first came up for the January category:

Modern realistic dramatic fiction. Just looking at the first dozen or so books on that Goodreads list I see several that I would exclude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I believe this is best sorted out in the nomination and voting process. Cloud Atlas was in my opinion a valid offering as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book. JSWolf on the other hand vigorously disagreed. So this is one persons (mine) opinion on which of the first 15 books from the Goodreads Popular Modern Fiction list would belong in what I see as the Modern Fiction category proposed here:

The list of top 15:
  1. The Kite Runner
  2. The Da Vinci Code
  3. Life of Pi
  4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  5. The Lovely Bones
  6. The Time Traveler's Wife
  7. Memoirs of a Geisha
  8. Fight Club
  9. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  10. The Help
  11. The Road
  12. Angels and Demons
  13. Atonement
  14. Middlesex
  15. American Psycho
Books from this list that I would exclude:
  • The Kite Runner
  • The Da Vinci Code
  • The Lovely Bones
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • The Road
  • Angels and Demons

I should also say that among the books that I did not exclude there are some that I would never nominate or vote for. I can't make an argument that those don't fit the category though.
I'm curious (as someone who voted for Modern Fiction), why do you consider Life of Pi as "realistic dramatic fiction" and not The Kite Runner?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote