View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
While I would always make note a grammar or spelling mistake on student's papers, I never reduced grades because of them, especially at the University levels.
If you are grading a science paper, I can almost understand and appreciate that (unless the grammar is actually bad enough to make the content unclear, which is far closer to what we're talking about than a misused semicolon [which I am utterly unclear about by the way...I never understood semicolons]).
If you are grading an English composition paper, I think you're doing the student, and society, a disservice.

Quote:
To me, that's as bad as forcing a student to put up their hand and ask permission to go to the toilet.

Toilet training, or the academic equivalents, grammar and spelling, should be kept to the primary schools, after which, no one should pay attention to either good or bad usage. Focus should be on content. Spend more time on content learning and less on toilet training and there is less 'dumbing down' in the schools.
To extend your analogy, you think teaching kids toilet training is important, but you see nothing wrong with a college student choosing to relieve himself in the middle of your classroom.

The lesson is valuable, but using the lesson in life is not?

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote