View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #164
annoywife
annoywife began at the beginning.

Device: none
Praise and show/hide fields in Edit Metadata

Hi – I suppose I’ll follow the traditional mold of comments on this plug-in by (1) offering praise and then (2) requesting something

First (and this is for real) I am incredibly thankful for this plug-in – I have always wanted to be able to have all of my content in a single physical library so I could search it all as desired, but still have the ability to break my collection down into smaller subsets when I work on documents dealing with family genealogy, games, etc. - and that’s exactly what the View Manager plug-in does. Awesome.

Second, I have two requests:

(1) I recently filed a bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1687338) asking that Calibre’s virtual library feature be improved to incorporate specific pre-defined views for each virtual library and Kovid pointed me to the View Manager plug-in. However, I thought he was mistaken until I realized that the plugin’s term “Apply search restriction” actually results in the creation of a virtual library. Could the plugin’s text be revised to something like “Apply virtual library” since this is the terminology now shown by Calibre, or perhaps “Apply virtual library/search restriction”? I obviously know what it does now, but think that this would be useful to future users of the plug-in. With my very basic, self-taught python skills, it appears that I could simply change self.apply_restriction_checkbox, which I’d be happy to do if helpful.

(2) One of the other changes I requested in the bug report above was the ability to show in the “Edit Metadata” dialogs (both single and bulk) only the fields that have been selected for viewing within each View Manager view – the thought is that if there are only a few custom columns with metadata relevant to the items in each View Manager view, you don’t want to have to scroll through all of the custom columns that exist in Calibre every time you want to edit one of these few. Kovid’s comment in the bug report indicates that he doesn’t think this would be too difficult to do in the View Manager plug-in. I’d think that there would be some way to set a “view” parameter for each metadata field to “false” and would again be happy to apply my very basic, self-taught python skills if helpful – although I’d need some guidance on this one.

Thank you!
annoywife is offline   Reply With Quote