View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #290
shamanNS
Addict
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then it's not possible for Reading Time to work with with Mobi because Mobi does not support NCX. KF8 doesn't support NCX as well. It's all an HTML ToC.

So however Reading Time does work, it's not based on an NCX ToC.
Wrong & wrong.
If you've ever owned a Kindle you would know the following:

1) Even Kindle 2 & 3 used NCX ToC in "old mobi" format to display chapter markings on progress bar and for skiping to next/previous chapter via D-pad right/left buttons. Those Kindle models (or to be more precise firware 2.x & 3.x branches) used HTML ToC for "Go To" menu (as in no HTML Toc inside book = disabled "Go To" menu option". So books in old mobi format had and used (for different things, as stated above) both "inline" (= HTML) and "logical" (NCX) ToCs.

2) Newer Kindles using firware 5.x use NCX ToC for everything. As in it parses NCX ToC and populates "Go To > Contents" menu (just like it parses apnx for page numbers and ads that info beside each chapter title). HTML ToC is there only for legacy. Reading time feature just replaced the role chapter marking and progress bar of older Kindles when Amazon removed the progress bar, and thus also/still uses NCX file to "know" chapter borders.

No idea where Kindle 4 (firmware 4.x) devices stood, since I've never owned one.

One notable difference is that older Kindles didn't support multilevel (nested elements) elements in NCX and fw 5.x Kindles do support it (but the parsing logic has a known bug on all newer firmware build since 5.3.x build for PW1, that the first element of NCX can't be nested or it will not be expandable = you only get the top most elements title, child elements are missing).

I find it very strange that you're known for using KindleUnpack (I recall you being very annoying when reporting bugs on forum thread) and yet apparently you never spent time to learn what unpacking old mobi files gets you. But that didn't stop you from commenting here and spreading incorrect information (with air of authority) ...

@Ruskie_it: I haven't used old mobi format books in ages but I think I remember Calbre generated .apnx files working just fine with old mobi format books. You're correct in that you can't email those extra files...

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-13-2016 at 09:31 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote