View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #1213
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Cool Toshiba Libretto W100

It's a clamshell device (dualscreens, foldable, similar to Nintendo DS).
Using Windows 7.

I've bought it about 6 weeks ago.
I had considered it about 20 months ago, when it was released in a very limited quantity.
Toshiba back then (ca. August 2010) had labeled it as a "concept". The limited quantities had been sold out quickly.
I've eventually decided against it. € 1.300 (as always, way more expensive in Germany than in most other countries) simply seemed too steep back then.
By coincidence I saw it in Amazon for € 900 about 8 weeks ago and thought about it again.
And then I got one for € 500 (new, I'm not buying second hand stuff).

I absolutely love it.
Of course it's totally dated.
Still, for what I want do do in Windows (downloading my nzb stuff, Office, PDF manipulation, casual games, ...), it's more than powerful enough.

It has 2 flaws though:
a.) The fan is quite annoying. The Toshiba power settings allow for some control. But it's still audible.
b.) The upper display, containing processor and most other components, gets rather warm (almost hot), especially if you tune down the fan.

Without those 2 flaws, it would be almost perfect for me:
a.) I love clamshell devices. Sony Tablet P is another favorite tablet for me.
b.) It's full blown Windows. Forget about apps. Forget about any kind of limitations.
c.) Even a jailbreaked iPad or rooted Android tablet has nothing similar to offer, compared to the endless possibilities of tuning or expansion.

I can read Zinio magazines (love them, bought hundreds over the years) in dual-portrait mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5077.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	86230  

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-09-2012 at 03:55 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote