View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeMatz View Post
AAAAAARRRGGGGLLL!

I think I bricked my KT device

That's what I did: [...]

Now it happened: it hangs at the "tree image" and does not continue
Any ideas what's going on and above all to make it boot again?

EDIT: USB connection still works - I currently tried to edit the runme.sh script and remove the locale-de_DE.jar file.
But it still does not show me any changes at screen
Here's the content of my runme.sh:
Code:
mntroot rw
touch /mnt/us/rmlog.txt
rm /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/locale-de_DE.jar >> /mnt/us/rmlog.txt 2>&1
mntroot ro
The rmlog.txt file does not exist, so I assume runme.sh is not called at all...
Oh, I have the same "bricked" Kindle, which also hangs on "tree" screen without showing progress bar and continuing booting to GUI.

I've also played with localization, but it was before ixtab announced his practical success, so I've moved on my own way. Before the "brick" I've placed additional files at /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales, tried to change default.properties (with discarding all the changes before "hard reset") and also tried to debug blanket process with breakpoint at langpicker.so.

I think there are two possible ways for recovery:
  1. using serial console to log into system and look at "brick" or current logs, understand what had happened and try to fix it,
  2. using "USB download" mode to load self-built kernel with custom initramfs, mount Kindle root partition and then: look at "brick" logs and so on.

Now, the second method requires further investigation with deep knowledge in Linux and it's booting (and I don't know whether someone moves in this way), so only the first method is ready for "easy" use.

But maybe you'll discover another way to recover. I'll be very glad if you will.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote