Thread: bash for kindle
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
xueyou2: Do not touch the root filesystem if you don't know what you are doing.

Better stay in the document partition and install there. Just put the binaries somewhere and point the dynamic linker to where your libraries are (if the binary comes with any) via LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment setting.
Even IF you know what you are doing, there are still some rules you need to follow:

You can "temporarily merge" things into the root fs using a "bind mount", which temporarily "replaces" a file on root with a file on mmc. See how I do that to replace /usr/lib/libc.so in my "tccmake" script used in my "simple tcc guide" thread.

Also, adding additional symlinks to root that point to files on /mnt/us is generally safe, but DO NOT link files into /etc/upstart until they are fully tested. An upstart script that returns error status can prevent OTHER critical scripts from loading during startup. And beware that symlinks are permanent, unlike bind mounts.

The IMPORTANT thing is to not use significant space on the root fs, which may be needed for firmware updates.

Unsafe changes to the root fs can brick your kindle (but we know how to fix that -- just rewrite the root fs partition).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-21-2012 at 10:11 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote