View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
3 - Since I've been obsessed with figuring out my google books problem, I've been trying to figure out the difference in pdf and epub. I know the basic difference - pdf is image. But for instance, if I get a pdf ebook from google books, can I still resize the text, change the text size and all that? And if it's epub, which I think the ones I downloaded were but I'm not sure, I thought it was text only so how did it show the pictures of the first few pages of the physical book? On google books itself, you have the choice of downloading pdf or epub, but on the B&N website if you're downloading a google book, it doesn't tell you if it's pdf or epub. Is there any way to tell which one it is after you download it? And do they generally go with epub or only use the epub or is there any logic to which version they give you? I'm assuming epub is the better format.
Well, actually, PDF are not always images. Only sometimes. Some crude home-made PDF files are just pictures of each entire page, but generally commercially made PDFs are not.

The bottom line is that PDFs look terrible on a Nook. This is because PDFs are intended to show how each page will look. The trouble is that a 8.5" x 11" page cannot be displayed on your Nook (if you squeeze in the entire page, the words will be too tiny to read, if you only show part of a page, the Nook has to "re-flow" the text, and PDFs do not want you to do that)

epub format books can have pictures in them.

For your Nook, epubs work best.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote