View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickyoung View Post
How can you embed video in an epub document? [...] We tried embedding the video itself but that made the document file size too big. We’re hoping to include 20 – 30 videos in the document.
Looks like you already solved the video-in-EPUB problem, but just for future reference, the "EPUB3 Samples Page" has an EPUB with <audio> and <video>.

Quote:
We’re trying to produce an epub document that includes videos hosted on YouTube. Can this be done?
Not in a way that's supported by any real devices.

See discussion of remote-resources in the "epub3 kobo external video opf issue" thread.

EPUBs (and reading systems) realistically need to be self-contained, and include everything within the EPUB file.

Quote:
Ideally, we’d like to have a page that includes a video thumbnail. When you click the thumbnail, the video will play (because the reader will be online).
You can't assume people will be reading with a device that's online (think train/plane, remote location, or older device). Also, many ereaders are not capable of playing video (e-ink). You'll need fallbacks, and/or reasonable alternatives (hyperlinks + video titles that can be read/typed out).

Most importantly, Hitch's post #22 from the above topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Perhaps I'm just dense, but as the videos are being hosted remotely--or that's the idea--why not just use a link to the hosted URL? Those people with devices that can play video also have browser-capability, and could then just as easily click a link and play the video from Youtube, Vimeo, etc.

I realize it's not as "slick" as having it play right inside the book, but I don't know that there's a way around your dilemma. All things considered, I mean. The link option has about as many pros and cons as does the idea of remotely hosting video; neither will work if there's no Net/wifi capability, and both will result in the video only being played in those devices that have the capability, and both will NOT cause those readers with eINks to pull their hair out.
And I stress this quite often, but Link Rot is a serious issue in ebooks. Hosting important material like that remotely is just asking for trouble, especially with how takedown-happy Youtube has been lately.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-11-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote