View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The most important factor to me is access to multiple formats. I prefer reading PDF (formatted as the paper book) on a tablet, but read the same books in EPUB on other devices. Ebooks.com allows download in multiple formats on the same purchase and I often pay a premium (ebooks.com rarely offers discounts) for the privilege. Closely related is that the bookstore offer PDF editions; few do and I'll pay more for a PDF than for an EPUB.

The next criterion is that the seller not alter the publisher's formatting. For that reason, I won't buy from Google Play at all nor from Kobo if the book is only available as "kepub".

Third is lack of DRM. I still buy DRM books, but if it's available without, I'll buy that way, even at a premium. Christianbook offers many books without DRM that others put DRM on and in that case, I'll preferentially buy from them.

Finally, I don't want a "one-click" interface. Despite owning and actively using a Kindle, I stopped buying from Amazon entirely when they switched to the one-click interface for ebooks.

If a book is available in EPUB only and is non-discountable (Agency), then I buy it from whomever I've "bought" the most free books from lately. For anything that doesn't fit any above categories, I buy from whichever store is cheapest (usually Kobo with discount codes).

One more thing that I want to mention is that, while most people seem to think ebooks must be cheaper than pbooks, I disagree. I gladly will pay (and have paid) a premium for an ebook over a pbook.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote