View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #38
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I began this thread, because I was hoping for feedback on my worry that the new Fire HD8 6th gen. I'd bought from Best Buy was used, because when unboxing it, I found the USB cable not tightly and neatly wound with a twist tie as was always the case in the past, but rather just stuffed loose into the box's section for the cable. I thought Amazon might have shipped a reburbished item to Best Buy. I was considering returning it.

The initial replies diverted the issue from whether the poorly wound cable was evidence of Amazon shipping a used item and toward the issue of Best Buy's frequent practice of selling returned merchandise as new. Some repliers seemed to allow their intense dislike for Best Buy and their past experiences with the store to ignore the specifics of my story such as Amazon's using a single use package that one has to tear apart to open. It did not make sense to me that Best Buy was the putative culprit.

Finally, poster Dordale suggested how responsibility, Amazon v. Best Buy, could be positively established. I'm ashamed of myself for not having thought of this from the get-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Does the packaging have specific information (ie Serial # of the unit) that's contained?
YES IT DOES!

The packages of the cheap Fires are more like soft-sided, envelopes than actual boxes. On the bottom of the envelopes, the UPC code and serial numbers of the units are printed in exactly the same print and ink as all the other printing on the sides of the package. There are no stickers or white spaces to allow for after-printing stamping etc.

The serial number printed on my impossible-to-use-twice envelope/package matches the serial number of the tablet as viewed in Settings/Device Options/ Serial Number! This establishes beyond doubt that Best Buy could not have repackaged the tablet.

Subsequent to my post, I happened to watch a YouTube unboxing of the Fire HD8 6th gen. In the vid, the USB cable is packaged in exactly the same way as was mine (no twist tie). This did not cause any alarm bells to go off for the videographer. I've concluded it should not have caused any for me either. Sorry for the trouble!
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote