View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Kaylee - a 'downside' of using virtual libraries or physical library switching is that some configuration settings are 'global' and they apply to all 'books'. For example for manga I prefer to sort authors name as is - eg Hwang Mi Ri or Han Yu Rang, but for my books I prefer LN/FN. I found trying to remember to adjust tweaks and settings when I did a library switch tiresome, forgettable, and error prone.

A 'downside' of running separate calibre installs, is that you can only run one instance of calibre at a time. So when you're looking at comics and you want to look at a book, then you have to close calibre (for comics) and start calibre (for books). And you have to do double installs

There's no ideal solution. A possible solution would be the ability to switch between configuration folders when switching physical libraries. Another solution would be to use a different manager for comics.

BR
Running separate installs will not actually let you use different config folders. It is the environment variables which do that... and is baked into the portable exe.

All you need to do is use a batch file to set the config directory and then run calibre.exe

You mentioned separage installs+config-dir variable as a linux solution -- why won't this work on Windows too? Also, again, there is no need to have multiple copies of the program binaries, unless you want to run multiple versions of the program. The second copy will also default to using the default config-dir.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote