View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #17
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Hmmm...I have only dealt with Kobo bookstore support but found them to be quite responsive. I only dealt with them by email.

OP, I have a Sony 300 which I bought while travelling in the US a couple of years ago and have had absolutely no problems with. I don't particularly care that the bookstore doesn't work - I use the library and buy from Kobo mainly. I prefer the feel of the metal frame to the plastic - it feels sturdier to me, even if it's just my imagination.

I'm not a fan of the iRivers - they seem expensive for what you get. Any particular reason you're looking at buying in Australia? A lot of the time, even the models available here are cheaper to import, shipping and all. If you are going to be reading pdfs - are they text or with formatted graphics? If the latter, then the general recommendation from this board is to get something big enough to read a pdf full size - that means a tablet becomes more cost effective. If it's text, then it doesn't matter so much though I will say that good reflow is worth it! Most of the early library books I borrowed were ADE pdfs which didn't reflow properly on my Sony and it's most annoying! - not sure whether that is ADE or Sony problem, but I believe it's fixed now. Thankfully my library moved to epub after that so it's all good.

Harry, OP has already checked the Amazon environment and found it wanting. Granted, s/he has not indicated that they've checked epub availability and if those titles were important then it's worth doing before making a decision.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote