View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Serput
Serput began at the beginning.

Device: Computer ( PC )
I prefer reading Foundation Series starting with the prequels

I have all the books of the Foundation Series, including the Second Foundation Trilogy, written by authors authorized by Asimov's heirs!
I advise everyone the following reading sequence:
1. Prelude to Foundation
2. Forward the Foundation
3. Foundation
4. Foundation and Empire
5. Second Foundation
6. Foundation's Edge
7. Foundation and Earth
8. Foundation's Fear
9. Foundation's Chaos
10. Foundation's Triumph
Books 8, 9 and 10 are the Second Foundation Trilogy and were written by other authors, that were authorized by Asimov's heirs.
Until now, I've read the first five... that is, i have read it so far not in the sequence they were written and published but in the sequence of the story itself. I prefer this way and I recommend it. We can perceive the all sequence of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Despite the late Dr. Asimov's suggestions, I would actually strongly recommend not reading the following novels according to their interior chronology. Prequels that were written later but occur earlier in the story often give away information that will dramatically change your perception of the stories... Not to mention, I am not a huge fan of Asimov's last several novels (Foundation and Earth, Prelude to Foundation, Forward to Foundation and Robots and the Empire).

Also, prior to Foundation's Edge and The Robots of Dawn, readers had no reason to believe the Robot stories were linked at all to the Empire/Foundation novels.

My suggestion is to read the original Foundation Trilogy and the first two robot novels and I Robot before worrying about any of the other books (The Empire Novels can be read whenever you want; while set in the same Universe they really have no impact on the rest of the Universe). Then read Foundation's Edge and The Robots of Dawn. I hesitate to recommend the Robots and Empire or anything that was written afterwards, but that is me...

--
Bill
Serput is offline   Reply With Quote