View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Questions that could be asked (and answered by e-book uploaders):
Where do you find content (text / html / pdf scans)?
I work mainly with .html from websites or Project Gutenberg (the former usually copyrighted and for my own personal use; the latter, of course, is in the Public Domain). The biggest hurdle is adapting someone else's HTML code and CSS to work properly on small screen (6") ebook readers. Also, properly building the "index" is crucial to the ease of navigation within the ebook. A TOC (Table of Contents) is a must!

After many previews or early builds, I weed out (fix) what works and what doesn't; mostly via experimentation. Then, I may add overriding CSS like minimal left/right margins and full text justification, but that's about it. I like to preserve the original's look-and-feel as long as it's not anti-ebook!
Quote:
What technical knowledge would be helpful i.e. (X)HTML, CSS, Python, Perl)?
For me, a working knowledge of HTML and CSS has been most helpful. I often check the www.w3schools.com website for tutorials and syntax.

Quote:
What software tools do you prefer to prepare your e-books?
I use a powerful text editior, TextPad for my HTML/CSS editing, as well as Mobipocket Creator (for .mobi/.prc), eBook Publisher (for .imp) and calibre (for .lrf/.epub/.lit/ereader .pdb).
Quote:
What are the final steps to create e-book in a specific format and/or muliple formats?
I use the GUI eBook Publisher and GUI Mobipocket Creator, but the command line 'ebook-convert' from calibre.

Quote:
How do you prepare you posting of that e-book here?
For multiple e-book postings, I just type the first post and then copy that text for any other e-book format I upload. It's tedious, but also the most rewarding in that more users get to use that e-book!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote